What Is Self Love?
At its core, self-love is an unconditional acceptance of who you are as a person— flaws and all. It means recognising your worth and treating yourself with the same kindness, respect, and compassion that you would show someone else. Self-love involves looking inwardly instead of outwardly for approval and validation. It means breaking down the walls we put up between ourselves and other people, being honest about our feelings, needs, desires, strengths, weaknesses, successes, and failures.
Why Do We All Struggle With Self Love?
The reality is that self-love isn’t something we are born with; it must be learned through experience. Unfortunately, the majority of us were never taught how to practice self-love or given the tools necessary to foster it within ourselves. It was frowned upon and considered self indulgent navel gazing by many of our parents’ generation. So here is the Healing Alternatives 10 step easy guide to help all of us find our inner lover, learning to love ourselves so we can love everybody else….
10 Ways To Discover And Practice Self Love:
- Forgive Yourself: Forgive yourself for your mistakes so you can move forward without guilt or regret weighing you down. This will help you focus on what matters most instead of dwelling on past mistakes or perceived failures. Suggested read - Ho'oponopono: The Hawaiian Forgiveness Ritual.
- Spend Time Alone: Spend time alone each day doing something you enjoy—whether it’s reading a book or taking a walk in nature—so that you can reconnect with yourself without any distractions from the outside world.
- Treat Yourself Well: Take care of your body by eating healthy foods and exercising regularly so that you will have more energy throughout the day; also get plenty of sleep so that you can function optimally each day!
- Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone: Push yourself out of your comfort zone by trying something new every now and then; this will help build confidence while simultaneously reducing stress levels over time!
- Challenge Negative Thoughts: When negative thoughts enter your mind (which they inevitably do), challenge them by asking yourself whether they are true or not; if not, replace them with positive affirmations about yourself!
- Accept Your Imperfections: Everyone has imperfections—it’s part of being human! Instead of focusing on what makes you different from others or less than perfect in some way (e.g., physical features), try to accept these traits as part of who you are (and potentially even celebrate them!).
- Take Time For Yourself Each Day: Give yourself permission to take between 10 and 30 minutes each day just for YOU—this could include running yourself a bath with one of our amazing CBD, Dead Sea Bath Salts, locking the door and just soaking.
- Speak Kindly To Yourself: Be gentle with yourself when faced with challenges; rather than beating yourself up or engaging in negative self-talk (which only serves as a roadblock!), try speaking kindly & compassionately to yourself instead!
- Celebrate Small Victories: Celebrate small victories throughout the day as they happen—this could include anything from completing a task at work to buying groceries without forgetting anything! Acknowledging these accomplishments helps build confidence & reinforces self-worth over time!
- Surround Yourself With Positive People & Experiences : Surrounding ourselves with positive people & experiences helps remind us that we are capable & worthy individuals who deserve love & respect from others (and from ourselves!). This also helps keep negative energy away from our lives & mindsets!
The pay off:
When you practice self love on a daily basis you can expect the following to happen an improvement in your mental health, increased confidence and a greater sense of fulfilment and the great thing is you can start seeing results in as a little as a week!
I hope this is helpful, however, I know how difficult it can be in practice. In order to try and do our bit to encourage you all to take time for yourself each day we are offering 20% off our Bath Lovers Gift Box for the month of February. This is a fantastic opportunity to enjoy a bit of you time as well as maybe gifting a friend you know needs this as well. We would love every time you use one of our products for you to feel that it is an opportunity for you to practice Self Love. I have also included a couple of links to related recommended books and experiences I think you might enjoy! If this blog has in anyway been helpful please let me know.